Anime Faction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legend of Korra Review 2

3 posters

Go down

Legend of Korra Review 2 Empty Legend of Korra Review 2

Post by HonestLiar Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:13 am

Legend of Korra, the sequel to the insanely popular ATLA, focuses on the new avatar Korra. From the gate we learn that Korra has mastered waterbending, firebending, and earthbending. In a very amusing inverted twist, she has to learn and master airbending, a complete reversal from the previous series. Along the way she meets up with new friends, trains and participates in pro-bending and discovers there's a revolution going on in the Republic City. Hi jinks ensues.

One of the things that Korra has going for it is it's characters. Every single one of them is very identifiable in one way or another and doesn't feel like a clone of any other character. I may or may not get sniped on that point but it's true fax yo. It's these characters that help me stay on board with the series as I feel invested in them and their lives and the way they change from episode to episode. I must give my high praise to characters like Korra, Asami and Lin Beifong (daughter of Toph) as they're just very well developed characters. (Joss Whedon please take the wheel from M. Night please?) Even with these characters the highest of high praises have to go to Amon for giving me hope in villains, probably one of the best villains I've had the pleasure of seeing and being in league with all the other great villains. And being voiced by Steve Blum doesn't hurt either.

But characters, amazing animation (which this show has in spades), and quality voice work do not make a good show and it's now on to the story line. Is the story line as amazing as everyone has been saying?

No.

Is it a better story than ATLA?

Fuck no.

But in it's own right is it a good story line worth following? Sure. The show has a wonderful balance of humour and drama and while the series gets bogged down in a kind of unnecessary subplot involving pro bending (although it still being a thrilling distraction that served it's purpose in the end) it still manages to get by moving a swift pace. In fact, the first few episodes are extremely good setting up Republic City and the conflict between benders and non-benders and this is where the show excels. It's an interesting look that asks the question, "What would it take for people to find a common enemy and go against them?" It's a question that's extremely relevant politically (99% v. 1%) and historically (Hitler is an immediate thought). And I must commend the character of Mako the same way I would praise Joffery from Game of Thrones.

However, while I can praise certain aspects, the show is evidently rushed. Yeah we know, it was a mini series. Yeah they weren't sure of getting a second season. That doesn't excuse lazy writing and the finale, while I won't get into it, is the most horrible let down in any show ever if only by winding us up emotionally, and setting up things to head to dark territory only to just pull back and say, "Oh sorry, nothing mattered!" It's bullshit and it really brings the show down remarkably for that single reason alone. (Along with a forced romance tie in which made me annoyed)

There's a scene in the finale where a character says, "I dedicated my life to you." A lot of character (and a lot of people in real life) dedicate themselves to something they believe but how far does that dedication go? To the extinction of a race, the removal of benders, or the work of peace? The show asks a lot of questions that it may not get to answer but maybe the question is more important than the answer. What's a God to a non-believer?

Thanks for reading.
HonestLiar
HonestLiar

http://Jeffcronenweths.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Legend of Korra Review 2 Empty Re: Legend of Korra Review 2

Post by Nanamix Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:43 am

Got ATLA last Book before moving on to Korra. Now I just gotta finish the season.
Nanamix
Nanamix
Admin
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/nanasesakamoto

Back to top Go down

Post by Plue Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:53 am

I agree with what you said about it being rushed.

Just looking at the different themes and elements in the story that were never fleshed out or made interesting.

Bending sports - Should have been really cool, but was so fucking lame in the show.
Politics - Barely any at all.
Gangs - like one scene with a gang in it.
Benders vs Non-benders - everything about it became irrelevant at the end, It was like a children's story where the main character never ended up learning the moral of the story.
Romance - so bad and cringe worthy.
Equalists - There are only like 3 identifiable equalists.
Plue
Plue
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down