Anime Faction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Visual Novel Are You Currently Reading/Playing?

+6
2-D
Blicer
JanaffStache
TopgunUK
Wing
FullArmageddon
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Visual Novel Are You Currently Reading/Playing? Empty What Visual Novel Are You Currently Reading/Playing?

Post by FullArmageddon Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:57 am

Post what you're playing/reading! You don't have to post only when you start a new VN, you can also post when you start a new route and maybe tell us what you thought of the route you just finished (liked it, hated it?).

Last night I read what's translated of Dracu-riot!
(Translation Site / you can read the ongoing manga adaption here). I can't wait until this is done being translated.

Today I started reading Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a shooting star-
(Translation Site), going for Komomo first. I think this is one of those VNs where each route builds on each other because you can only play them in a certain order. At first, there are only three routes available, you have to clear two of those routes to unlock two other routes, then once you've completed those five, that then unlocks the route of a mystery girl, then once you finish the mystery girl route, you can finally play the route of the main heroine, Mare (thank God for walkthroughs - I'd hate to have to figure that out myself). It's got good ratings on VNDb, so I'm looking forward to it.
FullArmageddon
FullArmageddon
Community Manager
Community Manager

http://myanimelist.net/profile/FullArmageddon

Back to top Go down

What Visual Novel Are You Currently Reading/Playing? Empty Re: What Visual Novel Are You Currently Reading/Playing?

Post by Wing Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:58 pm

Currently reading G-senjou no Maou and I'm playing the heroines in order, it's actually very convenient how it's set up. And I've been told that the absolute best is saved for last. I've just started the first heroine route, which splits off from the main story, and I'm really unimpressed by Tsubaki. She is by far the least interesting of the four, and that probably has to do with the fact that she's basically Touka from Sharin without the Tsun. It's the same seiyuu, similar appearance, and a couple of the same character portraits. Makes it hard to take interest in her when she is basically a stripped down and recycled version of a character from their previous VN.

Update: I finished Tsubaki's Chapter, and I liked it more than I thought I would. Ended pretty well. I also went back to see her Bad Ending. I'm starting Chapter 3 now, which splits off into Kanon's Chapter.

Update 2: Finished Kanon's Chapter, and it was a bit of a disappointment. I couldn't stand her mother, and the fact that her route was focused on that wasn't bad as it was important to her character development, but it was entirely devoid of any kind of romantic development. It takes a complete backseat, hell, it didn't even come along for the ride. It's almost a surprise that there's a relationship at the end, as I'd forgotten about it by that point. Moving on with the story now, and then into Shiratori's route.
Wing
Wing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

What Visual Novel Are You Currently Reading/Playing? Empty Re: What Visual Novel Are You Currently Reading/Playing?

Post by FullArmageddon Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:25 pm

^ Yeah, it's been a while but I remember there being a couple routes in that VN that I didn't really care for. But overall I thought it was really good, plus I just loved Haru's personality, I thought her seiyuu did a really good job.

Just finished the fourth route of Memoria which was the sister incest route. Just one more route and then I start getting to the main story/heroines. After I clear this next route I'll unlock the mystery girl and I assume that's when we'll start finding out about the protagonist's past and what happened to his childhood love.

If I had one complaint about this VN, it's that the protagonist is too perfect. He get's the top grades and he always makes the right decisions and never screws anything up. He always knows exactly what to do, and because of that, you don't get any sort of suspense or doubt that things are going to work out. He never says/does anything that he ends up regretting and so far every route has a perfectly happy ending with no compromises. Hopefully the last two routes will give me more of a sense of uncertainty as to what's going to happen and there will be a really difficult trial for the protagonist to overcome.
FullArmageddon
FullArmageddon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by TopgunUK Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:47 am

Finished Muv-Luv Extra, Unlimited and Alternative.

I can see why MLA is the highest rated on VNDB, Extra was just a mediocre rom-com taken on its own but playing it and unlocking Unlimited (which is a big improvement but still doesn't reach the same peaks as Alternative) were definitely worth it in terms of how they improved Alternative.

I've seen people who said that they skipped Extra and Unlimited in order to go straight to Alternative, almost did it myself but I'm so glad I didn't.

I'm still recovering from the series of emotional gut punches delivered fairly consistently throughout MLA in the latter two thirds, I've got that empty feeling right now that I get after finishing something I really liked, wishing I could experience it again for the first time.

TopgunUK
TopgunUK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FullArmageddon Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:53 am

^ I really need to finish Alternative. I played Extra & Unlimited and got a few hours into Alternative, then I just got really busy with other stuff for a while and never got back to it. I'll finish it once I'm done with Memoria.
FullArmageddon
FullArmageddon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Wing Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:09 am

The more I hear about how great Alternative is, the more I want to go straight to it. I'm thinking about pushing back Ever 17 and going to Muv-Luv after I finish G-senjou.
Wing
Wing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FullArmageddon Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:13 am

Speaking of Ever17, I just remembered I also never finished Remember11. Damn, I'll have to finish all these before I start a new VN.
FullArmageddon
FullArmageddon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by JanaffStache Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:01 am

Currently playing Little Busters!!
JanaffStache
JanaffStache

https://twitter.com/#!/JanaffStache

Back to top Go down

Post by TopgunUK Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Finished Planetarian.

Short and sweet, though I think it had the potential to be expanded and would've been better for it.

I knew it was gonna be short but the conclusion still snuck up on me.
TopgunUK
TopgunUK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Conkers bad Fur day, this is the funniest game ever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wing Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:48 pm

Made more progress on G-senjou.

I finished Mizuha's route and it wasn't bad, although they made sure not to explain something that seemed very important.
Spoiler:
This is the last of the three alternative routes, they feel almost entirely like what-if scenarios. And while they're not bad, they all leave something to be desired.

I've now started on the "True" route, and the events in this scene are very different if you don't choose Mizuha's route. I just got to a pretty significant twist, one I didn't see coming in the slightest.
Spoiler:

The rest of it from this scene on is supposed to be fantastic, so I'm really looking forward to how this all ends up.

Also, finishing this will let me move on to Muv-Luv, because, if I don't, a certain Swansean is sure to kill me in my sleep.
Wing
Wing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Blicer Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:22 pm

I started mgq... i dont think im going to finish it i just got onto the boat part but meh...
Blicer
Blicer

Back to top Go down

Post by 2-D Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:35 pm

I played Analouge: A hate story like...3 days ago. Finished in one sitting. Took me like 5 hours.

It's on Steam for like 10 bucks now but I got it when it was on sale for half. Think it's made by Americans so I don't know if you weaboos would like it.

It's pretty damn awesome. Check it out if you have steam.
2-D
2-D
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FullArmageddon Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 am

I get the feeling the author doesn't really like America too much. I could've posted a hundred lines like this by now.

What Visual Novel Are You Currently Reading/Playing? Capture2-6
FullArmageddon
FullArmageddon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Wing Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:50 am

FullArmageddon wrote:I get the feeling the author doesn't really like America too much. I could've posted a hundred lines like this by now.

I've been getting the same feeling. There are plenty of lines so far that seem to exist purely for bashing the Americans, rather than giving relevant information.

EDIT: Not even 30 seconds since I started back up. lol

What Visual Novel Are You Currently Reading/Playing? JAPAAAAN
Wing
Wing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FullArmageddon Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Going to start reading Fortune Arterial with the newly released partial patch of Kirha's route. Details on where to download here.
FullArmageddon
FullArmageddon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Wing Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Whew, I got through quite a bit in a short period of time.

I finished G-senjou no Maou, and went through all of MuvLuv(Extra/Unlimited/Alternative).

G-senjou was definitely better when you continue through in its entirety. Haru's route/True route or whatever you want to call it is where the story comes together and ends with a bang. The other routes were worth checking out, but I enjoyed the climax that was the final chapter. Although it seems like there's a split when it comes to how the final parts of the game/story were handled. Personally, I enjoyed it as much as Sharin no Kuni.

Muv-Luv was a beast of an experience despite having one of the most headache-inducing beginnings I've ever experienced (Extra). Was losing a few brain cells at some points (LACROSSE) but I stuck through it and even played through the other routes (started with Sumika's route) and it ended up being well worth it in the long run.

I'll keep it nice and short for the other two, as I'd like for them to speak for themselves.

Unlimited was jarring, served a great purpose, and worked to bring you as deep into the experience as it could.

Alternative... Words may not do proper justice. Ups the ante in every way, and then roundhouse kicks you multiple times throughout.

If you're one of the many who don't see what the big deal is when it comes to VN's, the Muv-Luv trilogy has an answer.

And now I'm trying to decide on my next VN. I have plenty ready to go, it's just a matter of picking one.
Wing
Wing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Plue Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:58 am

Started playing Sengoku Rance again since my internet was out.
Plue
Plue
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:11 am

Wing wrote:
FullArmageddon wrote:I get the feeling the author doesn't really like America too much. I could've posted a hundred lines like this by now.

I've been getting the same feeling. There are plenty of lines so far that seem to exist purely for bashing the Americans, rather than giving relevant information.

What Visual Novel Are You Currently Reading/Playing? JAPAAAAN

The two on the right look like characters from Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.

What Visual Novel Are You Currently Reading/Playing? Kimi-ga-nozomu-eien--img-md2f289c77efbe798fff7d4729744c1e8

Anyway, I last played this on PSP:

Rex
Rex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wing Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:16 am

Rex wrote:
Wing wrote:

The two on the right look like characters from Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.

They are. A lot of Age titles share settings and have character crossovers/cameos.
Wing
Wing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by saintcross Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Finally got around playing/reading Planetarian - pretty much my first experience with VNs...

Spoiler:
saintcross
saintcross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post by saintcross Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Started Muv-Luv - the creators must be fans of Ricky Martin huh?
saintcross
saintcross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TopgunUK Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Also, Starship Troopers.
TopgunUK
TopgunUK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wing Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Finished Unlimited Blade Works in F/SN. Went back to see the Good end after seeing the True.

Gonna start Heaven's Feel tomorrow. I've been told it's the best of the three routes, story-wise.

UBW was pretty good; I liked how very differently things played out when compared to Fate. It had a couple of entertaining surprises and I liked the story revelations that give you a different perspective on prior events, both within its own timeline and Fate. There weren't any re-used scenes beyond the first couple days so it was basically the same length as the first route. UBW took a few things up a notch. I'm hoping Heaven's Feel does the same.
Wing
Wing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by saintcross Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:59 pm

Finished Muv-Luv Extra - wasn't as bad as I expected although Meiya and Sumika's route was pretty identical with Meiya's route feeling like the true ending. Also went through the side routes for the sake of character development and they were surprisingly more varied than the two main routes and I eventually did get a little bit attached to the characters.

My body is ready for Ultimate and Alternative.

Edit:

Spoiler:
Incidentally, Ultimate is really highlighting how much of a brat Takeru is.
saintcross
saintcross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next