Anime Faction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Completely Annoying Anime Cliches

+6
Nanamix
Spectral Spider
Ojou
MikuHatsune
NinjagoonAF
Hitman Zeus
10 posters

Go down

10 Completely Annoying Anime Cliches Empty 10 Completely Annoying Anime Cliches

Post by Hitman Zeus Fri May 10, 2013 4:39 am

10 Completely Annoying Anime Cliches at IO9

I agree completely with the statements and I found it utterly ridiculous that there are shows that keep beating the same horse, without anyone complaining about it. How many similar shows do we have? 'Young Boy Soldier (living on his own!) with a troubled past most fight evil nation/operation/rival school to win Tsundere love-interest' must be made before someone says stop?

What I seriously wish for, is for anime and manga to get more mature. However since a lot of it is marketed for the 10-20 year old, there aren't really much that caches my eye any more. The first show I have seen since the end of 'Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood' is 'Attack on Titan'. Nothing have really managed to make me sit down and watch a show since... Well, since 2010.

Am I just getting older and wanting the shows to have more complexity or am I just flat-out wrong?

Discuss.
Hitman Zeus
Hitman Zeus

Back to top Go down

10 Completely Annoying Anime Cliches Empty Re: 10 Completely Annoying Anime Cliches

Post by NinjagoonAF Fri May 10, 2013 5:35 am

I guess i kinda agree with him but someone in the comments was right. Most of the shows he listed aren't targeted towards adults. To me harems, boob grabs, bath scenes are pretty much a must if you wanna have a ecchi-comedy or romantic comedy. The child soldier thing is cliche but it works if written well. To me, Naruto did it good, Hitman Reborn did it good, Evangelion did it really good, theres more i wanted to say but my i'm having a brainfart.
NinjagoonAF
NinjagoonAF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location : that place with all the mosquitoes and alligators and seafood and Jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Ninjamonkey46?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

10 Completely Annoying Anime Cliches Empty Re: 10 Completely Annoying Anime Cliches

Post by MikuHatsune Fri May 10, 2013 5:51 am

lol i never noticed all the running, until i watched that video
MikuHatsune
MikuHatsune
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ojou Sat May 11, 2013 5:35 am

Harems do get annoying sometimes.

Butt nuuu I love tsuns lol.
Ojou
Ojou
Community Manager
Community Manager

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Ojou-Chan

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectral Spider Thu May 16, 2013 1:35 am

Is there a cliche where a robot appears, and everyone's like "OH FUCK, how can we beat a machine, it doesn't even tire!" then they beat it, and it's all like "Robots can't match the unlimited potential of humans!"

Edit: posted in wrong thread.

Last edited by Spectral Spider on Thu May 16, 2013 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fuck, I'm stupid.)
Spectral Spider
Spectral Spider
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanamix Sat May 18, 2013 5:24 am

Here's two, annoying, cliches from almost every single anime.

Teenagers and high school.
Nanamix
Nanamix
Admin
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/nanasesakamoto

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectral Spider Sat May 18, 2013 5:26 am

Nanamix wrote:Here's two, annoying, cliches from almost every single anime.

Teenagers and high school.
I think the article already covered teenagers.
Spectral Spider
Spectral Spider
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tdogmaster Sat May 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Yes! Finally an article that brings up stuff I've been saying for the past few years! Even posted some questions about some stuff on par with this quite a few months back in the anime questions section. I admit I'm not very anime savvy since I haven't really watched many things other than the stuff I grew up watching and I still have a long way to go on a lot of the newer stuff but since watching some of the newer stuff (2006-present) it just seems stuff has really gone downhill since the 90's-early 2000's.

It's not a complete loss though, I have seen at least 2 or 3 that were pretty original or at least had promise. I kinda agree with Hitman Zeus about the getting older thing. It's just as you grow older you start to develop different tastes or use to just one thing you know and love but who can say what it is. Maybe it is because it's all been done before and just growing bored with the same thing over and over.

Since a lot of it appears to be a main character(s) issue, needs more of a slight personality/possibly role reversal in a sense. Or at least if its going to be a done before premise, add more depth and engagement to the overall story to make it interesting. I love a good plot twist that no one ever sees coming.
Tdogmaster
Tdogmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hitman Zeus Sun May 19, 2013 8:37 pm

Tdogmaster wrote:Yes! Finally an article that brings up stuff I've been saying for the past few years! Even posted some questions about some stuff on par with this quite a few months back in the anime questions section. I admit I'm not very anime savvy since I haven't really watched many things other than the stuff I grew up watching and I still have a long way to go on a lot of the newer stuff but since watching some of the newer stuff (2006-present) it just seems stuff has really gone downhill since the 90's-early 2000's.

It's not a complete loss though, I have seen at least 2 or 3 that were pretty original or at least had promise. I kinda agree with Hitman Zeus about the getting older thing. It's just as you grow older you start to develop different tastes or use to just one thing you know and love but who can say what it is. Maybe it is because it's all been done before and just growing bored with the same thing over and over.

Since a lot of it appears to be a main character(s) issue, needs more of a slight personality/possibly role reversal in a sense. Or at least if its going to be a done before premise, add more depth and engagement to the overall story to make it interesting. I love a good plot twist that no one ever sees coming.

I watched NGE at around the age of 20-21 and by then I were not an angst teen. I simply hated the show, for it didn't make any sense what so ever. "Here is a child with psychological problems but screw that! Lets put him in this giant robot that is the only defence of the rest of humanity! A psychologist?! NO!"

In all honesty, I have watched The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Blue Bloods and such that have an incredible personal story to each of the characters. In hindsight have that biased towards good storylines? Probably, since I rejected Steinsgate out of the notion of a time-travelling microwave-oven. I want flawed characters, I don't want the hero to be a super soldier that can fire 80+ round a second and not get any damage at all. "So this character drinks? Awesome, what other human characteristics does he/she have?".
Hitman Zeus
Hitman Zeus

Back to top Go down

Post by GhostCell Mon May 20, 2013 5:01 am

This whole child hero thing is ridiculous. 16 year old soldiers that look like 12 year olds fighting against the world :/ Others I don't like is someone getting mad and saying what they're going to say and then running away "You don't even know me" *runs*! But the thing that I guess I have already been tired of is all these shows based in high-schools. Lets change settings guys. I think what has changed with my age is believability I just know somethings are unbelievable like microwave time travel.
GhostCell
GhostCell
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post by War Thu May 30, 2013 11:45 am

"You know what happens when you have a country effectively without adult supervision? High school kids living together in sin!"

"When trouble comes, we don’t need the army, the air force, superheroes, or even Godzilla. All we need are a few teens."

I started laughing at these lines. I agree with the article, and found the children soldier the funniest entry.
War
War
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tdogmaster Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Hitman Zeus wrote:I watched NGE at around the age of 20-21 and by then I were not an angst teen. I simply hated the show, for it didn't make any sense what so ever. "Here is a child with psychological problems but screw that! Lets put him in this giant robot that is the only defence of the rest of humanity! A psychologist?! NO!"

In all honesty, I have watched The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Blue Bloods and such that have an incredible personal story to each of the characters. In hindsight have that biased towards good storylines? Probably, since I rejected Steinsgate out of the notion of a time-travelling microwave-oven. I want flawed characters, I don't want the hero to be a super soldier that can fire 80+ round a second and not get any damage at all. "So this character drinks? Awesome, what other human characteristics does he/she have?".

I'm a little late to the party for this one but I can't sleep atm so answering a few while I'm here. I can't remember how old I was when I seen NGE but I do remember it was way before it came to Cartoon Network. My gripe about it at the time it just didn't make a lot of sense to me but I agree why would you give someone with some serious mental health issues a weapon that could wipe out an entire city or country for that matter? When you look at it, kinda does make for interesting TV but only if it is in away to grab the attention of the targeted audience.

Never knew about the other shows till recently but The Sopranos I only saw the first episode just before I changed my satellite package so that's about far as I went. I'm more of a Law and Order watcher and I mean the original one. I hate that it got cancelled and now there is only SVU. Only problem I have with that one it's way too predictable. They take way too many actual major news stories and add their own little spin on it that if you seen the news story before you pretty much know how it's going to end even with there spin on it. It's missing more originality. Haven't seen Steins;Gate yet but I have seen Occult Academy. Time travel plot is sorta interesting but yea it can get very confusing sometimes. Even dimensional travel can get weird. Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure, I'm talking to you!

A little back on topic, out of the list, 4 and 5 are the in the top five for me that really irritates me about most anime. I've never liked the accidental boobfall scenes. If it's accidental, it's accidental. No matter how much a character explains it was an accident, it never ends well for them 90% of the time. Looking at the list, has me wondering do we have our own list of clichés sticky here? That would be something nice to add for the members and guests of the site to get a good chuckle or to have a little fun.
Tdogmaster
Tdogmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Albatross Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Hitman Zeus wrote:am I just flat-out wrong?
Wouldn't say you're wrong, just not seeing the whole picture.
These things are there for a reason.
Albatross
Albatross
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down