Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by WolfWood37 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:06 pm

To your first point, I don't know but its possible. However I don't think Superman will be traveling much in this movie series.

2nd point, yeah they was a ton of collateral damage I agree. However I've seen the movie 3 times now and the wide CGI shots of the city show Metropolis to be absolutely HUGE. Like say 3 times the size of Manhattan Island. There was alot of city left standing despite the level of carnage. Yes people definitely got killed in this movie.

However I will say that Zod was hellbent on destroying all of humanity and was mastering the powers before our very eyes. Also Zod had tons of military and combat training. Even Kal-El tried to lure him away there was no guarantee he would have followed. However I do think they should have had a scene of Kal-El trying to lure him away. If they had that then I don't think anyone would have complained about that.

As you saw in the fight any time Kal-El got in close combat he was getting his ass kicked. Kal-El was on the receiving end for most of the person to person battles. Goes back to my point of Kal-El having zero training and Zod having lots of it.

3rd point: There was no choice here, no earth prison or tech could have ANY hope of holding Zod, Phantom Zone option was gone, and you had Zod hellbent on wiping humanity out at that point. Kal-El begged him to stop he refused and made the choice to save the people by killing Zod. He clearly didn't want to do it and you could tell it rocked him. However back to my point, Kal-El is still setting his ground rules. If you want to blame anyone it should be the writers and directors for putting him in the impossible scenario in the first place.


Now who knows, they may use this point of Kal-El killing down the road. Maybe that's how they bring Luthor into this by making him out to be a huge threat that could kill anyone just like the rest of the Kryptonians were doing.

Hell maybe that's how they form the Justice League by coming together against Superman because they think he's a threat. I totally see Batman pulling something like that. (And I'm assuming here that this will not be the Nolan Batman but a different Batman for this universe).
avatar
WolfWood37
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 3003
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by MikuHatsune on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:08 pm

yeah that atmosphere thing kinda made me scratch my head

_________________

avatar
MikuHatsune
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13193
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 25
Location : JAV Land

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by Vanellope Von Schweetz on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:14 pm

...yeah, I'm just going to put a spoiler warning in the thread title, lol.

WolfWood37 wrote:There was no choice here, no earth prison or tech could have ANY hope of holding Zod, Phantom Zone option was gone, and you had Zod hellbent on wiping humanity out at that point. Kal-El begged him to stop he refused and made the choice to save the people by killing Zod. He clearly didn't want to do it and you could tell it rocked him. However back to my point, Kal-El is still setting his ground rules.

Pretty much this. I could totally see him giving himself the rule to never kill again after the reaction he had to killing Zod in the end. I mean, hell, Superman HIMSELF didn't even like killing Zod even though he knew he had to do it. :p

avatar
Vanellope Von Schweetz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Posts : 1641
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2012-04-12
Age : 24
Location : Manhattan

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by MikuHatsune on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:16 pm

wait they can actually survive in the phantom zone still? is it cause the ship is intact?

_________________

avatar
MikuHatsune
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13193
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 25
Location : JAV Land

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by Vanellope Von Schweetz on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:28 am

MikuHatsune wrote:wait they can actually survive in the phantom zone still? is it cause the ship is intact?

Yes, they can. That's why they trap them in the gelatinous substance encasing them in a crystalline material at the beginning of the movie. To stop them from finding a way out.
avatar
Vanellope Von Schweetz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Posts : 1641
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2012-04-12
Age : 24
Location : Manhattan

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by Destructo on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:24 am

Watched it this morning and I'm still kind of exhausted after leaving the theater. So much destruction to take in lol
avatar
Destructo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts : 9256
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2011-11-06

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdWHEtQKVLq06D7NtHk6GkA

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by War on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:50 am

That was one of my biggest issues. They made Superman way to human in this movie. He isn't human and in his adolescents he's known that to be true. He knew he is more powerful, and he knew that with such great power comes an even greater sense of responsibility. I'm blaming the writers so much for making superman so human. He always knew that he had to be more than human and that is evident in his creation of the identity Clark Kent. Clark Kent is what superman believes the human race is like weak, and clumsy. This whole human superman is just not him at all. The writers took a chance and I applaud that because there isn't enough of it in movies, but they took someone changed him from Superman the very pinnacle of morality, and made him just another human with super powers...
avatar
War
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 675
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-11-25
Age : 22
Location : Narnia

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by TopgunUK on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:06 am

Bizarre complaints.

For all intents and purposes he has always been a moralfag human with superpowers.

The superpowers are literally the only characteristics that separate him from humans, and he's been raised by humans.

I haven't seen the movie, but you're basically complaining that in this Superman is shown to not be completely perfect, and can't save everyone.

Well that's a fucking good thing, I've always found Superman to be boring as fuck because of his flawlessness.

And being unwilling to take a life even when letting someone live will result in the deaths of innocents is an awful character trait that Superman would be better off without.
avatar
TopgunUK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 6023
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by War on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:28 am

It was what made him Superman though. The "S" on his chest stands for hope. Hope that no matter how evil one is they may one day change. Hope that one day they will not need superman, but live in peace. You are right Superman was super-powered human with morality, and in that case he was an example of the extent that human morality could go. He was a symbol that it was possible for human beings to show an unyielding compassion even for their enemy. I just don't like this mainstreaming of Superman you really lose the one thing that made him standout from others DC heroes...
avatar
War
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 675
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-11-25
Age : 22
Location : Narnia

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by Vanellope Von Schweetz on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:59 am

You make it seem like he's never killed anyone in the comics before. Yeah, they normally backtrack they're plots in some dumb way like turn him into Evil Superman or some bullshit but almost EVERY time when his back is against the wall and there's no other option, no other way out, he does what needs to be done to save people, not let bad guys live so they can one day "change" their ways and be good and be a better person, not when that person is pretty much hell bent on killing every human being on the planet. The writers of Man Of Steel did what every other new writer would do when they want they're own take on Superman, and after the events of Man Of Steel, I'm pretty sure killing Zod was called for.

...because, you know, you don't want to be known as the "Superhero" that let a family be killed by the hands of Zod when you could have stopped him.
avatar
Vanellope Von Schweetz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Posts : 1641
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2012-04-12
Age : 24
Location : Manhattan

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by War on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:09 pm

In the original comic book I don't think he kills anyone until the very end of it, and when he does kill them it was the same situation as he was in with Zod except he had a number of years of training as it was the last piece the original superman I believe. He kills Mxyzptlk and he felt so bad he uses Gold kryptonite to strip himself of powers forever because he broke the only rule he ever made.

Morality is one of the defining characteristics of Superman no matter what you say that remains true. This may be a new progressive Superhero, but Superman was not a killer. The fact the writers couldn't think of a more interesting way to end the movie without Zod's death is stupid.

I would have loved to see Zod and Superman battling while the black hole was still open. You know both of them are getting close to being pulled in and it is Superman that has to make sure he is taken into the phantom zone.
avatar
War
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 675
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-11-25
Age : 22
Location : Narnia

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by WolfWood37 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:15 pm

He also killed Zod in the comic book.
avatar
WolfWood37
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 3003
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by War on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:25 pm

WolfWood37 wrote:He also killed Zod in the comic book.

Not the original which set the tone for Superman's superhuman morality.

Ultimately we have different view points on how they told the story, and neither side is going to change their mind.
avatar
War
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 675
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-11-25
Age : 22
Location : Narnia

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by WolfWood37 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Yeah, every story is different. Every comic is different. Every movie is different. Every writer and every director.

Everyone has their take and what it should be.
avatar
WolfWood37
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 3003
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by TopgunUK on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:28 pm

It is not more moral to spare a killer's life and through inaction allow innocents to die.

And removing his powers permanently because he killed one guy is pants-on-head retarded. The next time one of the seemingly endless supply of threats to the world shows up many more innocent people will die because Superman felt bad about killing one guy who deserved it.
avatar
TopgunUK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 6023
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by War on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:47 pm

After reading this I noticed how ridiculous a lot of the movie was hahah

http://io9.com/the-most-important-scenes-from-man-of-steel-as-i-remem-516405346
avatar
War
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 675
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-11-25
Age : 22
Location : Narnia

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by TopgunUK on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:55 pm

A movie where the bad guys actually use the phrase "evolution always wins" is full of stupid shit?

I'm glad I was sitting down for that revelation.
avatar
TopgunUK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 6023
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by Spectral Spider on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:26 am

TopgunUK wrote:It is not more moral to spare a killer's life and through inaction allow innocents to die.

And removing his powers permanently because he killed one guy is pants-on-head retarded. The next time one of the seemingly endless supply of threats to the world shows up many more innocent people will die because Superman felt bad about killing one guy who deserved it.
Top, did I ever tell you that I appreciate exposure to your wisdom?
avatar
Spectral Spider
Silver Member
Silver Member

Posts : 1460
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2013-03-11
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by War on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:41 am

TopgunUK wrote:It is not more moral to spare a killer's life and through inaction allow innocents to die.

And removing his powers permanently because he killed one guy is pants-on-head retarded. The next time one of the seemingly endless supply of threats to the world shows up many more innocent people will die because Superman felt bad about killing one guy who deserved it.

That is a philosophical debate that goes far beyond this. The way you think is consequential where Superman think more along the lines of Kantian Deontology. Morality is far from one way is right and another is wrong. It has been argued for a long time. That isn't the point though the quality of morality is part of what makes Superman, just like Harry Potter not killing anyone in the books. It is an intrinsic part of his character, changing it just doesn't seem right.
avatar
War
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 675
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-11-25
Age : 22
Location : Narnia

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by WolfWood37 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:26 pm

Harry Potter isn't an ongoing comic series and doesn't get rebooted every 5 years.

So let me get this straight, just because the movie doesn't have the characters exactly the same from the 1940's, 50's, 60's original comic book, then its terrible?

So do you not like any of the current comics because they have been changed from their original issue 1's? Or any current superhero movie? Cause that's what it sounds like.


Last edited by WolfWood37 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
WolfWood37
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 3003
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by Revy on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:26 pm

He had the strength to snap Zod's neck. Couldnt he have just tuned his head away?

Lol.
avatar
Revy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 4159
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 25
Location : ~I love you always forever Near and far, closer together Everywhere, I will be with you Everything, I will do for you~

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by War on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:49 pm

WolfWood37 wrote:Harry Potter isn't an ongoing comic series and doesn't get rebooted every 5 years.

So let me get this straight, just because the movie doesn't have the characters exactly the same from the 1940's, 50's, 60's original comic book, then its terrible?

So do you not like any of the current comics because they have been changed from their original issue 1's? Or any current superhero movie? Cause that's what it sounds like.

None of the changes made to current day Superheroes were really intrinsic. Batman in the most recent trilogy was pretty much the same, and Nolan fought to keep the idea that Batman didn't kill. Why? Because it is an important part of who Batman is. Its the same shit for Superman. That isn't even completely why the movie was bad. I mean there were a ton of plot holes. Read the article I posted above and you will see what I'm talking about, on top of that Revy just added another one...
avatar
War
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 675
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-11-25
Age : 22
Location : Narnia

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by Destructo on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:55 pm

Revy wrote:He had the strength to snap Zod's neck. Couldnt he have just tuned his head away?

Lol.
I think it was a spur of the moment decision didn't work out in the end.
avatar
Destructo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts : 9256
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2011-11-06

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdWHEtQKVLq06D7NtHk6GkA

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by PT-Desu on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:22 am


Just saw it
i liked it, despise the shit most people are talking about

and my opinion on it is pretty much the same as Wolf, this was an inexperienced Hopeman

_________________
avatar
PT-Desu
Admin
Admin

Posts : 5136
Reputation : 41
Join date : 2011-10-27
Age : 32
Location : Portugal

http://anime-faction.umforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Man Of Steel (BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum