Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by NoblePhantasm on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:44 am

I don't even know where to begin with this... I don't particularly remember how or when it started, but it's impossible to miss the fact that our beloved forum has seen some changes over the past couple of months. Unless you're blind, which is the only way you'd like them anyway.

It started off small: one button change here, another colour switch there and it escalated to where we have all of this worthless shit under our usernames and on the right. Member badges and splitting users into endless tiers, "health bars", fucking AF dollars... Dear lord, Nana, are you out of your goddamn mind? I don't care if you own this fucking place, you're not the only one living here and not everyone is so accepting of what you've been doing.

You seem to have precisely no clue of what is visually appealing or needed on a site. One word that could describe the state it is in now would be "clusterfuck", because that's what it is. Do you see how off-center everything looks? What is this fuckery on the right? Calender? Top posters? How does any of this make my experience visiting the forum any better? It looks awful and it's pointless. And if you keep going like this, you'll even begin to hinder the site's functionality soon enough.

You don't know what you're doing, Nana. You really don't. You're not a designer with good, interesting ideas, you're just a kid with too much power. You're not making these changes for the sake of the community or improvement, you're making them for yourself, because that's what you think is "cool".

I've bitched before and I will continue to bitch for as long as needed and you're wrong if you think I'm alone on this. Stop changing things. Stop doing things on your fucking own just because you can. Just stop.


Last edited by NoblePhantasm on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
NoblePhantasm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 4476
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2011-11-06
Location : The Garden of Everything

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by PT-Desu on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:51 am





just going to bed now

_________________
avatar
PT-Desu
Admin
Admin

Posts : 5136
Reputation : 41
Join date : 2011-10-27
Age : 33
Location : Portugal

http://anime-faction.umforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by HonestLiar on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:53 am

While not to be as ... harsh as my brother put it, I am in agreement with him. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean it needs to be there. I mean I personally don't care, I don't visit this place often enough to care but the fact of the matter is, there's things that are deemed necessary and things that aren't necessary. Some changes I've seen seem pretty cool.

But I'm sure not a lot of people will care to know that Miku is the top poster of the month. Aesthetically, it just looks wrong and doesn't seem like it fits at all. And as I said before, it just seems more of something you could do, but not something deemed necessary at all.

In short, I am in agreement with Noble to a fault. You've made a good site. Don't ruin it.
avatar
HonestLiar
Member
Member

Posts : 71
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 24
Location : New Jersey

http://Jeffcronenweths.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by PT-Desu on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:58 am

HonestLiar wrote:You've made a good site.




_________________
avatar
PT-Desu
Admin
Admin

Posts : 5136
Reputation : 41
Join date : 2011-10-27
Age : 33
Location : Portugal

http://anime-faction.umforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by HonestLiar on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:02 am

PT-Desu wrote:
HonestLiar wrote:You've made a good site.




avatar
HonestLiar
Member
Member

Posts : 71
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 24
Location : New Jersey

http://Jeffcronenweths.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by MikuHatsune on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:07 am



HonestLiar wrote:
But I'm sure not a lot of people will care to know that Miku is the top poster of the month.



_________________

avatar
MikuHatsune
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13194
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 25
Location : JAV Land

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by Nanamix on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:46 am

Freedom of speech at it's finest. scared


In all seriousness, though. I do apologize if a lot and many things does look "off the chart".

The many new contents and features that I am trying out isn't simply because "I have the power to do it." It's really because I am not taking any sort of redundancy to host a separate forum to test things back and forth (Nor the time to do so). Just like GT, they changes things back and forth (except the minor fact that they have a guinea pig site to test). It's the same here, don't assume that I change and add things to the site (And believe me, I know it'll piss off a lot of people) isn't because I wanted it to change, I have the same argument with Iept and you're not the first. All I'm doing is testing out some systematic features, and leaving the temporarily to see how it looks, and whether if it is necessary to the forum or not. Once the complete update rolls out and if many disagree, then I will remove them on the following 4.1 update. I do however, am looking for better coding features that let us connect to Facebook, statistical placement and updates to help us attracts members and promote activities. It's really it. lol

Believe me, unlike GT and many big sites, I do listen to my users. As I clearly posted on the main update thread that I am in the middle of testing some options and trying to get the forum up to be compatible to the current and temporary changes. But more or less it'll roll back to where it formerly looked (maybe with new background / contents). Sitting and complain won't make this any easier for myself, I do love you guys and all, and because of that I am rolling out new and currently testing features to see whether or not if any of you like it.

_________________
avatar
Nanamix
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1171
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2011-11-08
Age : 25
Location : Tokyo, Japan ; Saigon, Vietnam

http://www.facebook.com/nanasesakamoto

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by TopgunUK on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:18 am

Well I'll be damned.

Classy response, Nana.

I bet even Nobel feels like a bit of a dick for putting it so harshly.
avatar
TopgunUK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 6023
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by Nanamix on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:30 am

I'm simply being honest. Unlike many administrators from many other forums, I don't change things just because I can or have the power. I am simply trying to promote and test out features that would help the forum's active discussions in various ways, such as: Latest Topic, Calendars (For events and the folks' birthday if those who wishes to pay them respect), Keywords filtering (To pique the interest of those who wish to browse the searched Keywords related topics), and many more.

The top posters, in my opinion, isn't necessary, but until I can get a better replacement to it, then it will be removed permanently. (Though it someway helps me and the mods keeping track who spams and who doesn't reasonably).

With that all being said, the changes is to promote the activity in the forum, and community. Do I need to be an innovator to do this? No. But am I going to try to find different ways to test it back and forth (implementing and removing due to requests)? Yes. Nothing is permanent, and I am doing it for you all. Some and perhaps many might not like the idea, and some will. I am not experienced in coding to even make it optional as of yet, that's simply why I wanted to test things out before hand- live, to seek opinions and feedback from the community.

So in the end, if this is about "Who's right and who's wrong." It's not. But in my book, just for the sake of trying things out: "It's okay to be wrong."

_________________
avatar
Nanamix
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1171
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2011-11-08
Age : 25
Location : Tokyo, Japan ; Saigon, Vietnam

http://www.facebook.com/nanasesakamoto

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by NoblePhantasm on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:45 am

Apologising doesn't cost you anything.

So you're testing out things, fine. How do any of the "temporary" features transition into the future of the site? Do you have a planned concept you want to adhere to? Is there some sort of master plan? Because I simply cannot see where this is going and everything up until now seems rather random. Where else can you go from AF dollars, reputation and other such nonsense? None of this is "necessary to the forum", trust me.

And aren't you a bit contradicting? You don't want it to change, yet you conduct your little experiments, because you want it... To... Change... There would be no need to test out things unless you expected to make improvements or tweaks. If that's not the case, why not just leave it as is? Polish the rough edges and stop tampering with it. I don't mind wanting to have activity and new users. Take it to the Facebooks and the Twitters but leave the site alone.

I'm complaining because I care as much as you do. It helps neither of us, but we need to know where we stand.
avatar
NoblePhantasm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 4476
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2011-11-06
Location : The Garden of Everything

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by Nanamix on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:10 pm

For the AFD and whatnot is just content for users. As I said, some of these were the concepts to help and promote activities, kind of for something the user to work for rather than post counts. Sure, people can exploit it, but it will be addressed when it comes up. User Shops is there, such as GT for the user to (in our own way) purchase cosmetic materials, like name changes, having the chance to put their desired pictures on the logo (which I thought it's nifty, since we're all about community).

Again, there isn't any grand schematics or master designs that I have, not even having the time to do any of it. It's just sort of ideas popping out with a little bit of googling, trying out, testing, etc.

I never said that I don't want to change. In terms of community, I want it to be the same. I want it to be the most friendliest place where we all can sit and enjoy with the expanded contents where (in due future) I can make it optional to have and not.

To clarify, for now, you might seem it's a cluster, for example, the Health Bar. This is actually for moderation purposes to help us keeping track, and threaten the trolls and spammers before we permanently ban them / IP ban them. We don't have the same advanced moderation system like we did on GT, so this is the best that we can do. So it's more like fiddling with what we have and capable of.

The reasons why I am testing things out IS because I plan to make improvements and tweaks for (again mentioned, in the future) the users to make it optional for their own display, which I do believe it's possible.

_________________
avatar
Nanamix
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1171
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2011-11-08
Age : 25
Location : Tokyo, Japan ; Saigon, Vietnam

http://www.facebook.com/nanasesakamoto

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by NoblePhantasm on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:04 pm

The AFD system simply doesn't make any sense to me. I don't see anyone expressing a desire to change their username because most of us are already established. As for having a picture we want in the logo, if you're all for the community why not just rotate whatever pics have been requested every once in a while? That way no one gets to boast or someone can't quite get the requested AFDs. Everyone would be on equal ground and I'm sure no one would mind. And that's my point, why charge some virtual money for something that could be free and much more flexible?

What trolls? What spammers? You and I both know that there's literally only one person in danger of ever getting banned or reported, and that's Unknown. Everyone else knows it too. It's a poor stylistic choice just because health bars are cool or something. It's needless. And things like MoM will get tiring very, very fast. How long until everyone is wearing a badge, or worse, the same people will be wearing it over and over?

I just don't know, I'm against most of the things that you've changed because I don't see the point or functionality. You say you want improvement but any of this hardly seems like it's going in the right direction, even if only in an experimentational stage.
avatar
NoblePhantasm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 4476
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2011-11-06
Location : The Garden of Everything

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by Nanamix on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Sure, this is where we can agree to disagree. As it is being experiment with, some people do enjoy that sort of system, and rewards. I don't speak for everyone, and neither do you. Hence why I mentioned that once it is done testing to make it optional for others then I'm sure it'll be blessed.

Right now, it is just not possible, and I'm sure it's reasonable for me to say that bear with it for some times until I can figure it out to make it where for those who wish to have it can turn those function on, and for those who wish to not have it, can turn it off.

_________________
avatar
Nanamix
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1171
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2011-11-08
Age : 25
Location : Tokyo, Japan ; Saigon, Vietnam

http://www.facebook.com/nanasesakamoto

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by CluelessNeko on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:46 am

I like the updateds.
avatar
CluelessNeko
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts : 8357
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2011-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Somewhere near by.

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by Plue on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:08 am

The site looks great. I'd prefer if the calender stuff was gone and everything was centered again though.
avatar
Plue
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 830
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-10-28
Age : 26
Location : Connecticut

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by LOOK-INTO-MY-EYES on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:42 pm

AF$ can be used to some extent, my post here is just a suggestion: http://anime-faction.umforum.net/t187p20-suggestion-box#42058

Besides shops, sig making/funniest fake translation/whatever contests can award AF$, problem is, not much to spend on. Hence my Sig Shops idea in the linked thread above.

So I'm OK with AF$, as long as there is content to spend on, be it avatar/sig requests, or hell, even the use of for example, PT's SEALS OF APPROVAL things(like, you by licenses for use, but not all, you have to buy one at the time)

I'm just throwing ideas out there, but AF$ has potential, as long as it is done right, so far, it's pointless, but lets not put out the fire, let it carry us to the Olympics(lol)


I'd glad to create events where people can gain and spend money, hell, I am already planning a few events, and when I have them figured out I'd run them by the top brass

_________________
avatar
LOOK-INTO-MY-EYES
Community Manager
Community Manager

Posts : 87
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 28
Location : New World

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by NoblePhantasm on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:50 pm

But the Olympics are dead and over. Just like our hopes and dreams for this faction.
avatar
NoblePhantasm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 4476
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2011-11-06
Location : The Garden of Everything

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by Nanamix on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:32 am

There's always next year. Asmile

_________________
avatar
Nanamix
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1171
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2011-11-08
Age : 25
Location : Tokyo, Japan ; Saigon, Vietnam

http://www.facebook.com/nanasesakamoto

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by Wing on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:54 am

Nanamix wrote:There's always next year. Asmile

I lol'd. I got the reference.
avatar
Wing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 5257
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 24
Location : The Occult Research Society

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by MikuHatsune on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:23 am

wat....

_________________

avatar
MikuHatsune
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13194
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 25
Location : JAV Land

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by NoblePhantasm on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Making references only a limited amount of people would get. Who does that? I mean, really.
avatar
NoblePhantasm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 4476
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2011-11-06
Location : The Garden of Everything

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by Destructo on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:52 pm

NoblePhantasm wrote:Making references only a limited amount of people would get. Who does that? I mean, really.
lol I got that reference.
avatar
Destructo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts : 9260
Reputation : 25
Join date : 2011-11-06

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdWHEtQKVLq06D7NtHk6GkA

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by Wing on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:24 am

NoblePhantasm wrote:Making references only a limited amount of people would get. Who does that? I mean, really.

Not everyone can be Chosen. It's alright though, I'm sure you still have some purpose.

Adur
avatar
Wing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 5257
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 24
Location : The Occult Research Society

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by MikuHatsune on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:15 am

dammit i still dont get it

_________________

avatar
MikuHatsune
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13194
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 25
Location : JAV Land

Back to top Go down

Re: Nana's Site Changes/Improvements and Why They Suck

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum